[Tagging] Brickworks

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 17:24:13 BST 2012

2012/7/13 John Sturdy <jcg.sturdy at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would like to tag a brickworks.
>> Maybe it's the heat (30 centigrades indoors), but I cannot find a specific
>> tagging for a brickworks (large site, heaps of finished bricks, well visible
>> chimney).

> How about:
> land_use=industrial
landuse

> industrial=brickworks

IMHO it would be better to use a more specific key if the value is
brickworks. E.g. other values of industrial are (in order of usage)

oil (which doesn't really tell a lot, could be storage tanks, a
pumping area or a refinery?)
factory
gas (see above)
yes

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/industrial#values

While landuse=industrial is very generic (includes all kinds and sizes
of production and storage facilities, car wreckers ecc.) this value
would be very specific. IMHO there is some missing steps like
distinction of light and heavy industries, distinction between
production and storage (and maybe more, think of transportation or the
IT industry for instance)

I'd also suggest to add man_made=works
Maybe we should have a tag for type of industries, e.g. according to
what they produce? I also remember that there were related discussions
and some people came up with standardized lists for businesses.

cheers,
Martin