[Tagging] sports_centre

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Jul 16 09:07:21 BST 2012

Hi,

    I think there is a discrepancy between what the Mapnik style authors
believe a "sports_centre" is and what (at least German) mappers believe.

Here in Germany, most health clubs (German: "Fitnesscenter" - a place
where you go to work out on a treadmill or indoor rower or stuff like
that) are tagged as leisure=sports_centre, even if they only occupy a
standard-size shop/office floor. At the same time, whoever put that tag
on the Mapnik map seemed to have in mind a relatively large
installation, maybe a stadium or a multi-sports facility because these
sports_centre objects are shown from z15 on.

This leads to a relatively strange map display on zoom level 15 where it
looks like these health clubs are important landmarks in the cityscape, e.g.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=49.00699&lon=8.40329&zoom=15&layers=M

("Venice Beach Fitness", "Johnny M" - the only reason we don't see more
of them is the name collision with street names.)

I'd like to hear from others - is sports_centre the usual tag for such
establishments and if so, should we maybe downgrade the rendering to z16?

Bye
Frederik