[Tagging] sports_centre

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Jul 16 10:01:31 BST 2012

Hi,

On 07/16/12 10:24, Philip Barnes wrote:
> Sports centres are usually big, often municipal with a swimming pool and
> the like.
>
> In the UK the smaller places you are describing would be called gyms.

amenity=gym is rarely used and the wiki page advises against using it
because it is "ambiguous":
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dgym

I find that surprising because it seems that sports_centre is even more
ambiguous or misunderstood - at least if someone tells me he's going to
the gym I know what they mean.

Maybe we should simply define that amenity=gym means exactly these
"smaller places that I am describing" and change the wiki accordingly? I
have had a quick glance at the ~500 existing amenity=gym objects and I
think the tag is used exactly for this purpose already, so we'd only be
documenting an existing practice.

It seems that there once was a Proposed_features/Gym page which has been
removed by Harry Wood (explicit Cc as I don't know if he reads this) -
unsure if he did so because he was convinced that there is too much
ambiguity or just for procedural reasons.

Bye
Frederik