[Tagging] Data redundancy with "ref" tag on ways vs relations

"Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" xificurk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 19:11:28 BST 2012

Hi Peter,

Peter Wendorff wrote:
> I think, this would lead to a situation where the error count doesn't
> decrease, but the remaining errors aren't detectable any more.
>
> Having refs only on relations means for a data consumer: I have to use
> this data and I have no idea if it's correct - I have to assume it is to
> use it.
> Same for refs only on ways.

This is a bit absurd argument. We should _not_ duplicate the data
between relations and their members just that we could cross-check them.
Almost any data duplication is wrong, because it's harder to keep the
data synchronized, and thus it leads to more errors.
If I create/modify a route relation, it's soo much fun to copy the ref
tags from the relation to ways. I'm a lazy person, so if someone tells
me that this is what I'm supposed to do, I'll just write script for
automating this enjoyable task (effectively canceling the benefit of
data duplication for cross-checks).

> refs on both means: I am free to use this or that

Wrong. You cannot use either, because as you wrote below - you don't
know for sure which of the values is correct.

Best regards,
Petr Morávek aka Xificurk