[Tagging] Data redundancy with "ref" tag on ways vs relations

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Jul 30 22:55:27 BST 2012

Hi,

On 30.07.2012 23:41, Paweł Paprota wrote:
> But maybe I should have made it clearer in the first place that I'm
> talking about major roads - this stuff really should be in tip top shape
> (relations created, no discrepancy with ref on ways/relations etc.)

No. We only create relations when the ref tag is not sufficient. We
don't recommend that relations be created for roads otherwise, and
anyone doing anything with the data should not expect relations to be there.

> in Germany I have seen that they
> have hierarchical relations and also separate relations for
> backward/forward lanes.

These are created by individual mappers who are over-engineering things;
it is not something that "they" have in Germany as a general rule.

> So my point here is very specific and maybe we misunderstand each other
> because I failed to stress it enough. Ideally there would be QA tool
> like OSMonitor running for every country in the world (or one instance
> checking whole world) so that people could sync around the world and
> create unified approach to the major road network tagging.

A world-wide unified approach is difficult and does not have only
advantages; being forced to use the same approach in Chile and in China
might not be the best way to model reality. And since it only rarely
happens that someone travels from China to Chile using the same software
- maybe a unified approach isn't even required.

Bye
Frederik