[Tagging] Data redundancy with "ref" tag on ways vs relations

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 22:32:58 BST 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:41 PM, LM_1 <flukas.robot+osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually almost any proposal containing relations is criticised from
> this perspective (relations being too complex/complicated for
> mappers).

If you explain OSM to an average newcomer, not a geek or a s/w dev:
- yes, concept of relation is complicated (I'm even not talking about
super-relations)
- yes, it is not easy to edit (e.g. hte JOSM relation editor is fine,
but hey, you need a special editor dialog with special features just
for relations...)
- yes, big relations are a problem for the API
- yes, relations are difficult to maintain in long term because it's
often broken...  by newcomers.

Pieren