[Tagging] New access tag value needed?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 1 10:02:00 BST 2012

When a UK sign says "unsuitable for motor vehicles" or "unsuitable for
HGVs" it means "discouraged" in your terms. There is no guarantee that
you *will* get into problems, but it is just a strong warning. A road
that becomes a muddy track might present a problem for a normal car, but
a trial bike or a tractor would be fine. The warning is probably not
enforceable, i.e. if you ignore it you couldn't get a ticket for that
fact alone; luckily for many drivers it's not illegal to be an idiot.

So if the word "unsuitable" has the above semantics in normal use, it
would make sense to me to call it "unsuitable" in the tagging instead of
"discouraged" and using "unsuitable" to mean something else.

How about "unsuitable" (i.e. preferably not) and "impassable" (i.e.
don't even think about it)?

Colin