[Tagging] "dispute" about how to tag a type=multipolygon relation

Masi Master masi-master at gmx.de
Mon Jun 11 16:11:40 BST 2012

Am 07.06.2012, 22:10 Uhr, schrieb Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:

> Sylvain,
>
>     I have not followed the discussion but there is no doubt in my mind
> that:
>
> * a multipolygon may have 0 or more inner rings;
> * a multipolygon must have one or more outer rings;
> * any inner ring can consist of any number of ways;
> * any outer ring can consist of any number of ways.
>
> There is absolutely no limitation that restricts the number of ways used
> to make an inner or outer ring in any case. Even a small forest polygon
> could have a multi-way outer ring *and* a multi-way inner ring.
>
> It is of course true that a mapper will normally use as little ways as
> possible - it doesn't generally make sense to split a 50-node inner ring
> into multiple parts. If you do it, it is unnecessary, but not invalid.
>
> Bye
> Frederik

Hi,
yes, it IS possible to use splitted ways for a multipolygon. But on the
other hand it is complicated for many users to edit this. (Maybe the
editors are not perfect.) Second, I think (but not sure), live-rendering
is much quicker without multipolygons, which only forms an area (i.e. by
using highways).

Masi