[Tagging] Reviving the conditions debate

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 13 17:11:53 BST 2012

For some reason everyone seems determined to come up with the most
complex system imaginable, instead of taking successful ideas from the
rest of the world. This trait is what causes many projects to fail.
Let's not look at this as simply a discussion about "access tags", but
an opportunity to extend the syntax of the current key-value pair system
to include flexible extensibility.

How about something like access:expr=expression, where the expression is
in some simple syntax and can reference pseudo-variables like time, day,
weather, weight, height etc. Why not use a javascript-compatible syntax?
Or a bit of XML? No point in re-inventing the wheel.

Colin