[Tagging] reservoir_type=tailings

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 13:39:50 BST 2012

Today we had a discussion on talk-de how to map the different pools
and reservoirs in a wastewater treatment plant. One of the tags that
came up was reservoir_type=tailings, referenced from this page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dreservoir

It is not completely clear, if this tag really was intended for
specific baisins inside a wasterwater treatment plant, or if this is a
feature in conjunction with mining (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Mining ). Maybe
we should be more specific here in the wording? IMHO we should try to
find a definition to put into the wiki which is in line with current
use of this tag in OSM.

I also noticed that NHD uses the word tailings pond for the SHP keys
43604 and 43605:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/National_Hydrography_Dataset
for Reservoir (Disposal-Tailings Pond Earthen) and Reservoir
(Disposal-Tailings Pond Unspecified)

Cheers,
Martin