[Tagging] Reviving the conditions debate

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 14 23:24:18 BST 2012

Martin, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it had
better be a duck... What I mean with this, is if the grammar is so
English-like such that people are tempted to use constructions which are
not (or not quite) supported by the grammar, or if the way it works is
contrary to how the English language would interpret it, then "errors
will occur". Plus, of course, that the majority of users will not have
English as their first language, and we have to make this accessible to
the man-in-the-street and not allow it to become so obfuscated that only
PhD's need apply.

Bottom line: I question whether making it kind of pseudo-English-like is
the right goal to aim at. A simple grammar which is (mis)understood
equally over the whole world might be better. Your post below is full of
examples supporting my point. The grammar should be derived from what
you are trying to model, just as a (descriptive) grammar for English is
reverse-engineered from the way the language is used. If you start with
the premise that the answer must be expressed in ANTLR and shouldn't
include brackets, that's putting the cart before the horse. Please feel
free to carry on with your experimentation to see if you can make a
grammar on this basis, but remember that humans have to read and write
this stuff (which does not detract from my earlier assertion that
machine-readability is a slightly higher priority than
human-readability) and they often need clear boundaries to make the most
of their creativity. If you put a child in the middle of an "infinitely
large" field with no boundaries obvious to the child, they won't move
far from where you put them. If you put the same child in a large fenced
enclosure, they will explore every inch. Give a child a paintbrush in
front of a huge blank wall and you will get a small picture. Mark out a
"frame" on the wall and say "paint in this" and it will all get used.
Give a mapper no limits on tagging, and many things will not get tagged
(because of inner doubts about how to do it). Give the same mapper a
menu of 100 tags which can be used, and he will use many more of them.

 > Human language is sadly not very precise: "except taxis AND bicycles"
does not mean, you must be in a vehicle that is both (it means if not
taxis AND if not bicycles),

The human language here is extremely precise to any fluent
English-speaker. It means what it says. It's the IT-based interpretation
of the word AND which leads to the grammar misinterpreting the
intention. Think of the expression:

     a * b + c * d

To the "untrained eye" this may appear ambiguous or be interpreted
differently to how a compiler will interpret it. Nonetheless it's valid
code and no compiler will complain. However style-wise there is a school
of thought that such constructions are unsafe because a "bug" caused by
precedence problems is difficult to find by a quick inspection. My
mandating the use of parentheses to make the programmer's intentions
clear to a code-reviewer helps to detect bugs early, and has the
desirable side-effect of making the programmer think just a little bit
harder about how it's going to work out. Prevention is better than cure:
anything making it less likely that "coding errors" make it into the
database is most definitely a Good Thing To Have. Grammars which allow
"just about everything" are a pain because they frustrate this error
checking and delay error detection considerably, often relying on a user
to report an anomaly, triggering all kinds of incident management and
problem management processes and costing thousands of times more to fix
than if the input validation had stopped the error occurring in the
first place.

"If I were king" I would be looking for a system that:
* makes common cases easy
* makes complex cases possible
* makes each rule as standalone as possible (one sign -> one rule)
* does not rely on the user's fluency in English grammar (knowledge of a
set of specific words, e.g. tags and functions, is fine)
* uses grammatical constructions which are familiar to most people, or
easily learnt
* has a grammar allowing for a user-extensible function repertoire
* allowing user-defined functions to be stored in an external file
(accessible at entry and run time)
* fits comfortably with the key-value-pair paradigm of OSM
* can produce a result in a variety of data types including at least
boolean, number, string
* can use the value of other tags as variables
* can use other variables supplied at run time (e.g. weather, time,
vehicle type)
* supports the usual comparision and numeric operations
* supports string concatenation operation

Colin