[Tagging] Reviving the conditions debate

ThomasB toba0211 at yahoo.de
Fri Jun 15 10:03:31 BST 2012

as the one who drafted "Extended conditions" I would like to make some
comments. The proposal should not compete with "Access restriction 1.5" (or
similar proposals). My proposal aims to consolidate and unify existing tags
instead of proposing a complete new way of tagging -see the one example at
the beginning of the proposal. "Extended conditions" will not change any of
the existing access restriction tags and also not change the existing ":"
separator for compatibility reasons. This can not be done without some
"dirty" workarounds like defining [access] and [all] as default values but
it would be compatible with existing and generally accepted tagging. "Access
restriction 1.5" would change many of widely used tags and as such require a
much more complex, long discussion and evaluation. So I suggest to differ
between

i) making some smaller changes to the existing tagging very soon to enable
people to tag some common cases like
maxweight=12
maxweight:destination=none
or
maxspeed:hgv:wet=80

ii) discussing the future of access restrictions which will also replace i)
once agreed.