[Tagging] Ref tag

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 19 11:46:01 BST 2012

Strictly speaking the international E-numbers are routes, not roads. The
European Route Network is overlaid on top of the national networks and
doesn't bother about international boundaries. In Belgium however it is
very common to use the E-route numbers on signs instead of any local
A-number where a motorway is part of the ERN. In this case I would say
that int_ref and ref should have the same value - ref should be used for
what's on the signs. If the motorway has an underlying A-number (purely
for administrative purposes) then this might fit in nat_ref.

In the UK, the E-numbers are not signed at all, but there are ERN routes
there. For example the E20:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_route_E20 which runs from Ireland
to Russia.

Colin