[Tagging] maxspeed=signals

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Jun 26 13:14:56 BST 2012

I was going to point you at the M6 around Walsall, but having looked at it I am even more confused.
Some ways are tagged maxspeed 70mph, some are tagged as maxspeed signals, and a section is 110kmh which is clearly very wrong. I will correct and email the mapper.
Am not sure of purely using maxspeed signals as this doesn't give the routers a time estimate, the normal signals off limit is 70mph.
Do we need a separate tag such as limit = variable, maxspeed = 70mph. At present there is a note about active traffic management but I assume is ignored by routers.

Phil

--

Sent from my Nokia N9

On 26/06/2012 12:39 David Earl wrote:

On 26/06/2012 11:43, Martin Vonwald wrote:
> Lately I was mapping features along motorways, including speed limits.
> Some of them are displayed on electronic signs, but usually only
> change in case of traffic jams... All of them showed 100. And under
> normal circumstances they will always show 100.

They have them in the UK as well: on the M25 for example in the Heathrow
area. But they really do vary here - they aren't just on/off but set the
speed dynamically to try to improve traffic flow.

There are also indicator sings on all UK motorways which can be used to
display a variety of signs dynamically, including variable speed limits,
in case of emergency. Often they will graduate downwards from some miles
away from an incident to slow or stop traffic. As far as I can see I'm
the only one who takes a blind bit of notice of these speed limits and
people get annoyed with me when I do! Funny world.

David

Tagging at openstreetmap.org