[Tagging] [Talk-us] Rails with trails

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Thu Jun 28 14:51:48 BST 2012

* Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> [2012-06-27 12:59 -0400]:
> But another popular kind of rail trail, a "rail with trail", cannot
> be found in this manner.
[snip]
> Does anyone have any ideas for tagging? The simplest would be
> something like rail_with_trail=yes or maybe railway=adjacent.

Either of those would work.  Between those two, I'm inclined toward
railway=adjacent so the search would be something like
"highway=(path|footway|cycleway) and railway=(abandoned|adjacent)".

Another possibility would be to use rail_trail=yes, which would apply to
any rail trail.  It would be implied by a non-motor-vehicle highway= tag
and railway=abandoned, but could always be specified to be unambiguous.