[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - lanes General Extension

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 13:28:08 GMT 2012

Hi!

You summarized the problems with proposals very well: actually no-one
cares at all.
* If a proposal is opposed, doesn't matter - it is tagged that way anyway.
* If it is approved, doesn't matter also - it is still tagged somehow
differently

What I have seen in the last months regarding proposals lead me to the
conclusion, that they are a big waste of time. Nonetheless I want to -
at least try to - go the whole way; at least once.

Regarding your comments (which would better fit into the discussion page):
* Left-Right: this is the "renderer problem". You can either use
:left/:right or :forward/:backward to distinguish the driving
directions. Both have some drawbacks. The left-right-approach makes it
very easy for the renderer, but impossible for the router, because the
router misses the information of the driving direction. The
forward-backward-approach makes it easy for the router, but the
renderer doesn't know if the forward-lanes are right or left (and the
same for the backward-lanes). Both problems disappear as soon as the
information about left-hand/right-hand traffic is available.
I decided to go for the forward-backward-approach, because it better
fits my thinking of driving directions on lanes.
* Lanes type: This can easily be achieved with this tagging scheme:
         highway:lanes=cycleway|pedestrian|residential|residential|pedestrian
(Please ignore the actual values in this example - it is just an
example). To maintain compatibility it would be better in this case to
use:
         highway=residential
         highway:lanes=cycleway|pedestrian|||pedestrian

I'm already using this scheme to tag the lanes on the streets in my
region and up to now haven't run into any serious problems. As the
fundamental idea behind this scheme is very simple and extendible I
assume it will stay this way.

Thanks for your feedback.

Martin