[Tagging] gym as an amenity value

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Fri Mar 9 13:15:10 GMT 2012

On 09/03/2012 10:04, Erik Johansson wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 18:16, Craig Wallace<craigw84 at fastmail.fm>  wrote:
>>
>> The term "gym" is ambiguous, as it can also mean gymnasium. ie a place at a
>> school for sports, or a place for doing gymnastics etc.
>> I think its best to avoid the term for tagging.
>>
>> I would suggest a tag of something like "fitness_centre" or "fitness_club",
>> which are clearer what they mean. Also, it should probably be under the key
>> for leisure, not amenity.
>>
>> So a tag of leisure=fitness_centre or leisure=fitness_club
>
> You mean: leisure=sport_centre

I think a "fitness centre" is a bit different to a sports centre.
A fitness centre usually has facilities for weight lifting, and exercise
machines, treadmills etc.
Whereas a sports centre is usually larger, and has games halls, pitches
etc. Though a lot of sports centres also include some sort of fitness
centre within them.

So I think some sort of different tagging would be useful. Maybe fitness
centres/gyms could be tagged as leisure=sports_centre + sport=fitness ?