[Tagging] How to tag a "trail blaze"

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sat Mar 10 01:15:14 GMT 2012

Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> writes:

> tourism=information
> information=trail_blaze
> hiking=yes
> operator=
> support=tree|pole|rock
> description=

That seems reasonable.  But, there are various kinds of markers for
trails I have encountered, and some of them would not necessarily be
called blazes.  I've seen:

  painted rectangles on trees
  plastic triangles nailed to trees
  1.5"x3"x0.75" painted blocks nailed to trees
  (all of these qualify as blaze)

and

  piles of rocks, where there are no trees ("cairns")

I'm not sure if cairns count as blazes in hiking parlance.  But it seems
fair enough to call them that, and it makes sense to have

trail_blaze=paint
trail_blaze=plastic
trail_blaze=wood
trail_blaze=cairn

trail_blaze_shape=triangle
trail_blaze_colour=yellow

This feels like overkill, but I have been putting 'name=yellow' on
trails that have yellow blazes and no name, because it's useful (even if
a bit off) and because people call that "the yellow trail".
So I would expect you to have two nodes (next to each other) when there
are two blazes.

I would expect the purpose can be

  blaze inventory by the trail maintenance group

  producing a map with the trail's colors labeled and also showing
  little marks for the blazes.