[Tagging] any tag you like, but why create parallel systems for established tags? DCGIS

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Sat Mar 10 14:24:45 GMT 2012

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 6:38 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking at the key name and values this looks like the date when the
> external database included the object in their system. Why on earth
> should we keep track of this in OSM? Doesn't seem to be a
> geoinformation to me.

I've made a practice of removing all tiger:* tags, and most gnis:*
tags (except feature_id) after verifying a feature. The only external
data that I think belongs in OSM is a reference number (i.e. primary
key, e.g. gnis:feature_id) that can be easily maintained (e.g. no
tiger:tlid), and that should end if/when we have persistent IDs. And I
think we shouldn't use a private namespace but put it under the ref:*
namespace, which makes clear the purpose of the data.

-Josh