[Tagging] dispute about center island in a turning circle

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Tue Mar 13 13:35:02 GMT 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 9:13 AM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 5:16 AM, Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com> wrote:
>
>> Definitely not a turning_circle. Either map as a loop or mini_roundabout.
>> -Josh
>
> Not a mini_roundabout, either; those typically are painted onto the
> road surface and don't include a hard island.

So we need to do one of the following:
1) "Force" everyone to draw a loop around the island (too tedious)
2) Change definition of mini_roundabout to allow for non-traversable
islands (not happening, since it seems a traversable island is nearly
universal, even in the US [1])
3) Invent new tag
4) Tag as turning_circle, perhaps additionally using a
traffic_calming=* value such as island [2]

My vote is for #4. Time for me to try out Overpass to get my
mis-tagged features...

-Josh

[1]: http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/intersection/roundabouts/fhwasa10007/
[2]:http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:traffic_calming