[Tagging] Preventing traffic signs - Invitation to discussion

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 14 15:17:56 GMT 2012

Putting lots of traffic signs on nodes on the way would result in a lot
of new nodes on the ways, which will need optimising out by
routers/mkgmap etc. The sign is not really an attribute of the road.
Putting a tag on the road segment to which the warning applies would
seem to me a more logical way of indicating these semantics, and a whole
lot more usable for the routers. An indicative node for the sign itself
(so then we are mapping "street furniture" i.e. the post itself with the
signs attached to it, not the characteristics of the road) would be fine
IMHO although I do wonder if this level of micromapping would be
productive in the long run.

If there are multiple signs on a single post, we will get (I assume)
constructions like traffic_sign=sign1;sign2;sign3. As we know
multiple-valued tags are currently poorly supported by the available
tooling (correct me if I'm wrong....)

Signs often have "sub-signs" qualifying the main sign, e.g. slippery
road "when wet". This will need a place in the tagging as well. How
would we handle multiple signs on a post, each with its own "sub-sign"?

The "extent" of the hazard has already been mentioned (e.g. sharp bends
"for 5km"). Often a warning sign gives advance notice of the hazard
(e.g. low bridge "in 2 km") so the sign's location differs from the
location of the hazard it is indicating.

Colin