[Tagging] Route Relations and Special (Bannered) Routes

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Wed Mar 14 16:01:00 GMT 2012

* Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> [2012-03-13 10:30 -0400]:
> adding a tag for banner=Alternate/Business/Truck is my least-favourite
> option of those above.

Why?

> increasing specificity on the network tag like network=US:US:Alt
> follows the original intent of the network tag.  It also offers the
> least surprise to naive consumers of the data.

So you get the reverse questions from NE2.  };>  We (so far) mostly use
the network tag as a hierarchy of ownership, not containment: the US:MD
network is for Maryland's roads and Maryland is in the US, but its roads
are not members of the "US" network.  Does it make sense to double up on
the meanings of network tags, so that, say, US:NJ:Business would be a
business route that's a member of the New Jersey state highway network,
but US:NJ:CR would be a county road that's not a member of the state
network?  Is it still easier for data consumers if they have to
differentiate between those two cases?

Compared to the scenario where we add a modifier tag for special routes,
data consumers already have to consider two tags to work with route
relations.  Would adding a third make a difference?

--- --
Frederick!  He's eating a screw!
                       -- "Eat-Man '98"