[Tagging] reference_point and landmark for addresses

Johan Jönsson johan.j at goteborg.cc
Mon Mar 26 21:25:37 BST 2012

Felix Delattre <linux at ...> writes:
> I started working on a draft for a proposal:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/addr:reference_point
> Please help me!

This is an important thing to map.

I have been looking at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses and it
seems that the key addr: is used on each and every single address. an example,
the addr:street isn´t used on the street but on the surrounding buildings that
uses that street in their adress. with a similar approach,
addr:reference_point would be used on all houses having "the railway station"
as a reference.

My conclusion is that you should not use addr: for this tag. I suggest to use
only reference_point=yes or reference_point=address.

Maybe there are other uses for reference_points, what first comes into mind
are the survey points: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%
3Dsurvey_point