[Tagging] Feature Proposal - TMC - New tagging scheme for TMC

Heinrich Knauf knauf at infoware.de
Fri Mar 30 17:04:07 BST 2012

Am 29.03.2012 20:02, schrieb Tobias Knerr:
> Graham Jones wrote:
>> Err...what does tmc stand for?
> TMC stands for Traffic Message Channel, see e.g.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_Message_Channel
>
> It's a standardized format for transmitting information about blocked
> roads, traffic jams, accidents etc. They have IDs for road sections to
> be able to describe where one of these events has happened, and mapping
> these IDs in OSM would make it possible to use TMC messages in OSM-based
> navigation software.
>
> In Germany, we had a huge discussion about TMC a while ago because the
> previous tagging scheme for TMC IDs was pretty horrible - see this node
> for example:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/595024
>
> So I'm happy that there is now a much more sensible proposal available.
>
> Heinrich Knauf wrote:
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Proposed_features/New_TMC_scheme
> This is clearly a massive improvement. The long and detailed description
> makes it look a bit more complicated than it really is, but considering
> that it also gives some background about how TMC works and explains why
> the proposal makes these exact suggestions, the length of the text seems
> reasonable.
>
> Apart from the obvious improvements (shorter keys, country codes instead
> of numbers etc.), I especially appreciate that it should be relatively
> hard to break even if you don't know much about it. You can still split
> a way with tmc=... tag or move some of its nodes without causing any
> harm. And if you do break something nevertheless, it will probably be
> easy to spot most of the time.
>
> So, I think this proposal is as mapper-friendly as possible, considering
> the complex subject matter.
>
> Btw, have you considered to create some rendering of these TMC tags to
> make them more visually accessible?
>
> Tobias

Hello Tobias,

thank you for the nice feedback and for your assistance in explaining
what TMC is.

You asked for a means of making tmc tags more accessible? Yes, there
might be.

First, there is our "TMC Inspector" which you may like to try. Visit
http://osm-tmc.infoware.de/tmc/
(Please report if the link does not work.)

And there is another project at infoware to install and run a server
that continuously shows the current traffic status on these road
segments that are tagged according to the the new scheme.

Regards,
Heinrich

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Heinrich Knauf

infoware GmbH
Riemenschneiderstr. 11
53175 Bonn
GERMANY

facebook_follow_us <http://facebook.infoware.de/>

office: +49 228 338899-21
email: knauf at infoware.de <mailto:knauf at infoware.de>
web: www.infoware.de <http://www.infoware.de>
infoware Gesellschaft für Informationstechnik mbH
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schulte-Hillen, Martin Langhoff;
Sitz Bonn; Amtsgericht Bonn HRB 14141