[Tagging] area=yes on polygones (was Block names)

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Wed May 2 09:53:38 BST 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:

> What about closed ways tagged with barrier=* and some other ambiguous
> *=* (e.g. barrier=hedge & amenity=marketplace).

No, the tag "barrier=*" is not ambiguous and is self explanatory (does
not need to check any tag combination).

Btw, by digging a bit more the wiki, I discover that
"public_transport=station" also requires the tag "area=yes" ([1])
,,,if the station outline is not a building''' ... although it is
clearly specified that the feature is "always" a closed way (not a
possible linear feature). Wow, where is the logic here ? That's
another example of "area=yes" dissemination, used to fix rendering
issues and not for disambiguation.

Pieren

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:public_transport%3Dstation