[Tagging] addr

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue May 8 13:41:58 BST 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 12:05 +0200, Colin Smale wrote:
> In general, the world considers a city to be a "very large town". In
> the UK (and possibly other places) the concept of "city" has specific
> connotations, namely the granting of Letters Patent by the Crown (a
> cathedral is not a prerequisite, nor is it a guarantee of city status!
> )
That is very true, although I had assumed that on recieving a city
charter a church is normally made a cathedral, but I guess that is my
Leicestershire background getting in the way.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicester#The_early_20th_century

> A similar system in the Netherlands dictates that The Hague is
> technically only a village as it has never formally been granted the
> right to call itself a town, let alone a city.
In the UK, doesn't town status infer holding a charter to hold a market?
So I guess a similar situation.

> The Post Town (as used by Royal Mail) is one way of defining a
> location, but there may be cases where Royal Mail disagrees with local
> government and/or common usage.
Very true, and it really grates hearing Donington Park refered to as
being in Derbyshire. Posttown does seem a useful tag if trying to
extract information to send a letter.

However for in terms of location the next layer would probably be
county. But for government purposes then local authority would also be
useful.

Phil