[Tagging] [Talk-us] First bona fide mini-roundabout spotted

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Wed May 9 10:02:58 BST 2012

There is one annoying complication of the "real" roundabout in comparison
with the mini-roundabout (and for which I also have "cheated" in some
cases) and that is the handling of bus and cycle route relations. These
have to be split at every roundabout into two halves with role "forward".
>From that point of view it might me nice to have a node "small_roundabout",
but I see the immediate problem of how to define the difference between a
small and a normal roundabout.
The splitting of the roundabout for the route relations is also causing a
lot of unintentional "vandalism", where mappers add a roundabout, and do
not check for the existence of routes. I often do not add roundabouts (in
cities) because I don not want to disturb an existing public transport
network that I do not know (I am a "travelling" mapper in the sense that I
map what I encounter when riding my bike, also in areas far from home).

Volker