[Tagging] Dispute on highway=mini_roundabout

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Thu May 10 17:05:37 BST 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/10/2012 11:52 AM, fly wrote:
>>
>> Why should we have two tags for roundabouts which differe only in size.
>> We do not do this with other objects/tags.
>
> waterway=ditch/canal and stream/river?
>
> (By the way, we don't currently have two node tags for roundabouts. Hence
> the current situation.)

Agreed, for a long time I used highway=mini_roundabout for cul-de-sacs
with islands (usually planted with trees).

I propose we start accepting junction=roundabout to be used on nodes.
This shouldn't produce any problems for data consumers, is logical,
and would save a lot of time for tagging the many small roundabouts
that exist especially in residential areas.

-Josh