[Tagging] Dispute on highway=mini_roundabout

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Thu May 10 18:31:13 BST 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com> wrote:
[snip]

>> I propose we start accepting junction=roundabout to be used on nodes.
>> This shouldn't produce any problems for data consumers, is logical,
>> and would save a lot of time for tagging the many small roundabouts
>> that exist especially in residential areas.
>
> I think I would be willing to go with this solution. It seems the
> people who actually have mini roundabouts around them are very adamant
> about their meaning. While I don't really see harm in using it in
> slightly different circumstances where true mini roundabouts don't
> exist, I think putting junction=roundabout on nodes is acceptable as
> well.

I'm not so sure we should go down that path quite yet. (pasted my
comment from the talk page) From a quick unscientifically-randomish
review of nodes tagged as highway=mini_roundabout, the majority in the
United States are NOT traversable (thanks to excellent Bing imagery,
out of the few dozen I looked at NONE appeared to be traversable),
while I can't tell for other areas of the world due to poorer
resolution. For those interested, you can download all current nodes
as a zipped OSM file
(http://joshd.dev.openstreetmap.org/all_mini_roundabouts_20120510.zip),
and some quick stats: 39,923 total nodes, with top users being Gregory
Williams (3226), westendguy (1326), woodpeck_fixbot (813), user_5121
(659), Dr Kludge (543), mackerski (396), NE2 (348), NicRoets (306),
Dion Dock (288), UniEagle (287).

-Josh