[Tagging] (Mini)Roundabout: examples

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Mon May 14 09:49:54 BST 2012

14.05.2012 09:50, Martin Vonwald wrote:
> According to the current wiki chicanes are "Hazards on the street you
> have to drive round". This would fit the image. Also at least in my
> region we use traffic_calming=chicane to map these:
> http://www.adfc-laatzen.de/adfc/radwege/fahrbahnverengungen/engstelle_reden.jpg

The wiki definition was probably written under the assumption that
everyone knows what "chicane" means anyway. It also links to Wikipedia,
which defines it as "an artificial feature creating extra turns in a
road" - which your example doesn't do, it just makes the road narrower.

I consider neither that example nor the ones on your roundabout example
page a chicane. Instead, I'd specifically expect _alternating_
obstructions on the left and right side of the road.

Your example is more like an island.

Tobias