[Tagging] (Mini)Roundabout: examples

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Mon May 14 12:04:59 BST 2012

2012/5/14 Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com>:
> 2012/5/14 Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de>:
>> I consider neither that example nor the ones on your roundabout example
>> page a chicane. Instead, I'd specifically expect _alternating_
>> obstructions on the left and right side of the road.
>>
>> Your example is more like an island.
>
> What is your suggestion to tag this? traffic_calming=island?

Actually a wiki page exists for that:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:traffic_calming=island
It was created just two months ago and the value is not documented in
the main article about traffic calming. The value is used about 400
times currently.

Is this an accepted value? From the description "An island is a small
area that temporarily separates two different directions of traffic."
it would fit quite well.

Martin