[Tagging] (Mini)Roundabout: examples

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Mon May 14 15:05:39 BST 2012

2012/5/14 Peter Wendorff <wendorff at uni-paderborn.de>:
> If anyone of you is going to edit that page anyway, please add the
> combination suggestions with highway=crossing; crossing=island;
> I would say, not all islands are island-crossings, but (nearly all)
> crossings with an islands calm down traffic, so it's a useful combination.

I quickly read the description of highway=crossing: this key is used
for pedestrian or other kind of crossings. In my opinion this doesn't
fit at all.

Those islands in the example only have the purpose to lower the speed
of vehicles, i.e. classical traffic calming. So I think the key most
certainly should be traffic_calming. Right now the question is what
value fits better. If "island" is an accepted value I would go for
this. Otherwise I would prefer either "chicane" or a simple "yes".

Any more opinions on this?