[Tagging] (Mini)Roundabout: examples
Andrew Chadwick (lists)
a.t.chadwick+lists at gmail.com
Tue May 15 18:52:11 BST 2012
On 14/05/12 12:36, Martin Vonwald wrote:
> The reworked article about junction=roundabout is now more or less
> finished, so please comment on the whole article:
> Still open, so please provide feedback:
> * Decision if traffic_calming=chicane or traffic_calming=island should
> be used in two of the examples
Chicanes look very different, and wouldn't be confused with roundabouts
anyway. Best avoid mentioning them.
Some other feedback:
0. Box description needs a really nice clear photograph!
1. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Traffic_circle currently
redirects to the Tag:junction=roundabout. This is in conflict with your
new text and the existing text because "traffic circles" apparently do
not grant right of way to the circulating traffic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_circle . It's US English
terminology, not British English, but it's a good distinction to retain
if you ask me.
2. Needs to explain what "traversable" means.
3. Drop the "A roundabout is" from the box Description for brevity.
4. "be anywhere" => "have any size" :)
5. The introductory blurb re the "Danger of confusion" sounds a bit
alarmist. Perhaps it's just the section title. I would drop this para
since whatever title we choose will be right there in the Contents box.
6. I'm happy to tweak the English text as needed once it's up; poke me
when it's done. Or should I just dive in and reword?
7. "How to map" => needs a gentler introductory paragraph going over
things at a high level before you get into the detail of how everything
should be done. Suggest something like "Start by drawing a circular
shape, and make its tags match the roads which connect with it." or
maybe something more.
7a. The detailed instructions tagging might be more digestible in
8. "Editor support for circles" seems too prominent where it is, and
nobody's really bothered about the neatening tools at first. I suggest
demoting this to a later section, and maybe retitling it as "Drawing
9. "Examples" section: these are not really examples; they're closer to
explanations of how to continue road tagging through a roundabout. I
like the visual explanations of how to to classify the roundabout w.r.t.
the ways connecting to it.
9a. Ideally, the example section needs some good photographic examples
with big thumbnails and clear explanations of what tags to use.
10. "Danger of confusion". The title still sounds a bit alarmist! Not
sure how to retitle it though. "Features which look like roundabouts,
10a. Perhaps it could be merged with the Examples section usefully.
11. It's important that the example photos of things which are _not_
roundabouts should be made much more distinguishable from the photos of
things which _are_ roundabouts. This is because people who do not speak
German, English or Russian well will be looking at the photographs and
not the words; if the distinction is unclear from the form of the page,
we may be compounding the problem of mistagging.
More information about the Tagging