[Tagging] [Talk-us] U.S. inland waterways

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Wed May 16 06:23:45 BST 2012

On 5/16/2012 1:06 AM, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
>> In either case, any idea what the suitable tags might look
>> like (other than the generic boat=yes ship=yes)?
>
> I guess that depends on what you're trying to do...  If you are trying
> to tag the largest possible vessel that can navigate a waterway (under
> "normal" conditions at least) you could probably come up with a
> reasonable set of tags.  Inland waterways are highly dynamic though...

I'm trying to do something like the European tagging:
http://www.itoworld.com/map/24
But there they have some sort of international treaty that defines
configurations.

Do you know of any reasonable way to define large vs. small? I know
there's "deep-draft" shipping, but most inland waterways don't support
that (since barges are apparently shallow-draft).