[Tagging] (Mini)Roundabout: examples

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed May 16 13:51:28 BST 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/15/2012 10:30 AM, Anthony wrote:
>>
>> Okay, so, for OSM terminology, a roundabout means 1) traffic goes in
>> one direction; 2) entering traffic must yield; and 3) entering traffic
>> need not stop (no stop signs).
>

> Nope. Junction=roundabout applies to all (one-way) traffic circles, no
> matter what the right-of-way rules are.

Okay, so http://www.yargerengineering.com/articles/images/Traffic-Circle-Woodruff-Place-Indy400.jpg
is junction=roundabout?

And the only difference between a roundabout and
http://g.co/maps/nvhfh is that you can (supposedly) make a left at the
latter without going all the way around in a counter-clockwise
direction?  (In other words, if there was a sign indicating that you
had to drive to the right of the island, it would be a roundabout?)

> Unless you want to invent a new tag
> for the New Jersey circles that give right-of-way to some approaches.

I wouldn't mind.  There's something fundamentally different between a
typical New Jersey traffic circle
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Marlton_circle.jpg) and an island
in the middle of an intersection which people drive around in a
counter-clockwise direction
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NonUK_Roundabout_8_Cars.gif).

I certainly would give different driving directions in each instance
(something like "merge onto the Marlton Circle and make a right at the
third exit" vs. "make a left at the roundabout intersection").

> New
> Jerseyans certainly don't distinguish them from other circles where all
> entering traffic must yield.

I can't think of any true roundabouts
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NonUK_Roundabout_8_Cars.gif) in New
Jersey.  But then, I haven't lived there in over a decade.