[Tagging] [Talk-us] U.S. inland waterways

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Thu May 17 19:24:03 BST 2012

On 5/17/2012 7:44 AM, Malcolm Herring wrote:
 > On 17/05/2012 03:44, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
 >> On 5/16/2012 10:42 PM, Dale Puch wrote:
 >>> You might check with the OpenSeaMap guys
 >>
 >> Surely at one of them is paying attention to tagging@?
 >
 > Nathan,
 >
 > Yes, we are paying attention!
 >
 > What is it that you wish to map? If it is for inclusion in the
 > OpenSeaMap map, then the tagging needs to be in accordance with:
 > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenSeaMap/Seamark_Tag_Values
 >
 > If it is information of a more general nature, then use whatever OSM
 > conventions are commonly used in USA.

Basically I'm tagging general characteristics of waterways. It seems the
categories will be:
*maintained for deep draft ocean vessels
*maintained for shallow draft barges and pleasure boats
*not maintained, possibly open to pleasure boats

I don't see any such values in the Seamark Tag Values table. The closest
is depth_max (shouldn't this be maxdepth, to match such tags as
maxheight?), but there don't seem to be legal depth restrictions on most
waterways here.