[Tagging] Another reset on roundabouts

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Thu May 17 23:21:14 BST 2012

Well the last thread just went nuclear so I'm starting a new one.

So I guess here is a summary of my opinion on what seems to be the
major sticking points.

junction=roundabout should not care about right-of-way. Trying to
enforce this in the map is going to be impossible anyway because it is
such a technicality. And I'm not sure what value is added by inventing
another tag for edge cases that differ only in handling of
right-of-way.

highway=mini_roundabout: I am ok with requiring a traversable center
for this feature... If junction=roundabout is allowed on nodes. And by
"allowed" I mean that editors don't complain about it and maybe even
some rendering love in the default stylesheet. However this might also
be hard to enforce in the data unless UI changes are made in editors.
Otherwise we can pontificate all we want on the mailing list but
people who are not familiar with the concept of a "real"
mini-roundabout WILL still use this tag for "small roundabouts" with
non-traversable centers. That's just reality. Maybe change the display
label to "traversable roundabout" or something?

Toby