[Tagging] Turning circle with island or turning loop (was Re: (Mini)Roundabout: examples

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Fri May 18 15:11:48 BST 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 9:12 AM, Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/5/18 Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com>:
>> I've created a wiki page for highway=turning_loop:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dturning_loop
>
> Thanks for that. Do you think it would be a good idea to put the
> section "Possible misinterpretations" also into this article? If so, I
> would move the text into a template which could be reused.

While the "Possible misinterpretations" section is great, I think most
people will find it to be too long and won't read it. I think it might
belong on a separate page rather than on one tag page or on all (via a
template). I'd suggest prominently linking to it in all affected tag
pages, but then have a shorter, practical "if this, then that" list
customized for each tag page. Take a look at my rework of
highway=turning_circle for how I'd handle it for the other pages:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dturning_circle

Note that I also put this section in a template, which you asked to be
done, and have created a primary page for this to exist at, in case
the method I used on turning circle is found to be suitable.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Circular_and_widened_road_features

That page name is the best I could come up with, if you or others have
a better one then we can move the page.

-Josh