[Tagging] Light-rail station

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Thu May 31 11:59:44 BST 2012

Hey Andrew,

Your question would have been better asked at talk-transit at osm.org
(mailing-list for public transport)

On 31/05/12 09:39, Martin Vonwald wrote:
> 2012/5/31 Andrew Errington <erringtona at gmail.com>:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This light-rail station is above ground near an airport in South Korea.
>>
>> http://osm.org/go/546KGWeqC--?m
>>
>> I originally mapped the light rail (two tracks) and added a node at
>> each station point (so, two nodes per station, one in each direction).

With the new scheme (see below) these nodes are tagged with
public_transport=stop_position

>> A new mapper has done a nice job of the airport carpark, but has drawn
>> the station building outline and deleted the two sections of track
>> that went through it and one of the station nodes.  However, they have
>> added the building outline to a relation which represents the route.
>>
>> Is this right?
>
> I'm not a railway expert, but I would say: no.

Clearly no !

>>  Is there a better way?
>
> I would say: yes.
>
>>  Shouldn't the track be
>> continuous through the station building?
>
> This is the better way IMO. The tracks are there, so why shouldn't
> they be mapped? The building will need some special tagging, I guess
> with some layer and special building tag, but I don't know those tags
> by heart. I'm sure the wiki or someone more experienced with buildings
> will point you in the right direction here.

add a higher layer tag than the tracks to the building (e.g. layer=1 if
no layer tag is used so far)

you can add nodes on the intersections between building and tracks and
split the tracks to add covered=yes to the parts inside the building.

>> The reason for asking is that I'd like to show all station buildings
>> on this line like this.  They are mostly rectangular boxes with the
>> tracks running through, like this:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gimhae_lightrail_station.jpg
>>
>> If everything is mostly ok what I'll probably do is copy the station
>> node tags to the building outline and delete the node.

reusing the nodes is better (see above).

There is also the possibility to use a relation (public_transport=stop_area)
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:public_transport=stop_area

> For the correct tagging of the station, platforms, stops, etc. have a look at
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Public_transport and follow the Railway link.

+10

Have fun
fly