[Tagging] New access tag value needed?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu May 31 13:50:02 BST 2012

On May 31, 2012 5:41 AM, "Martin Vonwald" <imagic.osm at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/5/31 Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com>:
> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-17530125
> >
> > (lorry stuck on very tight corner)
> >
> > This is tagged hgv=unsuitable in OSM
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/69590803
>
> In my opinion this doesn't need a special tag. Because the geometry of
> the way (together with the tag width, if necessary) should carry
> enough information.
>
> > Maybe such tags need regularising
>
> If we need such tags, yes. Right now I'm still not 100% sure that we need
these.

It would make bicycle routing easier and you wouldn't have to know the
exact width of each lane and the availability of shoulders and everything
else that would currently be required for an automated system to know that,
say Harvard Avenue, is not a good route to take for your average person,
yet readily ignorable if you're Lance Armstrong.