[Tagging] Exclusive access rights

John Sturdy jcg.sturdy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 11:32:33 GMT 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 7:32 PM, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:

> It is rare to prohibit hgvs as such, the way this is achieved is by weight
> or length. The most common is to prohibit vehicles over 7.5t, the historic
> breakpoint between a vehicle that could be driven on a car license and one
> requiring a hgv licence. At some point that weight was reduced, not sure
> what to or when. I can still drive a 7.5t truck due to when I passed my
> test.

I can't remember when it changed, but it changed to 3.5t.  (The range
3.5t to 7.5t is covered by the C1 driving licence.)

One common weight restriction is 17.5t.  I think the idea behind this
is that the axle weight limit is 10t, and hgv designers have to leave
a bit of leeway for how the load is positioned on/in the vehicle, so
in practice the rated gross tonnage of a lorry is 8 times the number
of axles.  So, in effect, a 17.5t limit really means "no vehicles with
more than two axles".

Also, width restrictions may in effect mean "no hgv or psv", with
"except for access" to allow the dustcart in.

__John