[Tagging] Differences between crop and produce?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 12:49:40 GMT 2012

2012/11/19 Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl>:
> From wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_(disambiguation) :
> Corn is the name used in the United States, Canada, and Australia for the
> grain maize. In much of the English-speaking world, the term "corn" is a
> generic term for cereal crops, such as:
> Barley
> Oats
> Rye
> Wheat
>
> This certainly corresponds to my understanding, and my brother's (he's a
> farmer).
> Looking at other European languages, I think "maize" is less likely to be
> misunderstood; in many languages the native word is clearly a variant of
> "maize":
> So I would vote for using "maize" and not "corn" as maize is hyponym of corn.

+1, this is what it is like in German as well (Maize=Mais, Corn=Korn
(where it is a generic term, btw. also used for certain hard spirits
deriving from cereals)). The Italians use generally "turkish grain"
(granturco), but there is also "mais" in botanic context.
Looking at the actual values:
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/crop#values
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=produce%3Dcorn
there is 9 corn vs. 6 maize and 1 corn vs. 0 maize (so it doesn't really matter)

As crops tend to change I am not sure how well we will be able to
maintain this kind of data, but at least we could have uniform
suggestions how to tag if someone wants to do it anyway.

cheers,
Martin