[Tagging] Zones 30 in Belgium (from [OSM-talk-be] )

A.Pirard.Papou A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 09:40:46 GMT 2012

Hi,

A GPS addicts group has encoded a file of over 1000 30 km/h speed limits.
Their leader has just discovered OSM, ITO Map, etc...
He's promoting security much and would like his data into OSM.
I wrote on talk-be that this was doing it the other way round.
A speed limit has two ends and his POIs are nodes.
They should have been encoded into OSM first and then extracted.
If only the world knew that OSM exists :-(

I have converted their file to a .osm file.
I can transfer the nodes to another layer and apply a JOSM preset.
That's quite fast but 1000 is much!
But I can split the .osm file to share the work.

Well, do you think it would be useful to add those POIs and how?

  * as a side node with
      o maxspeed=30
      o fixme=determine start/end and transfer these tags to the way
      o source=http://...
  * as a real limit on a sort distance, wrong but with a fixme?
    most often it's about the same distance astride a school access
    this could be visible on maps, but make believe the mapping is done
  * as a just a note on the way:
      o fixme=please tag the 30 km/h speed limit here
        much time spent for little result
  * another idea?

A side node risks to be unnoticed and even left behind after really
mapping the limit.
Mapping the wrong distance means risking not to notice fixme and later
split+join.

Well, what's your advice?

Cheers,

André.