[Tagging] Contents of tagging Digest, Vol 38, Issue 34, 1

St Niklaas st.niklaas at live.nl
Thu Nov 22 10:51:20 GMT 2012

>    1. piste:type=nordic but without underlying track (Michael S)
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 00:07:55 +0100
> From: Michael S <michael at elfu.de>
> To: Tagging at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: [Tagging] piste:type=nordic but without underlying track
>
> Hello all,
>
> I have noticed a nordic trail , where a mapper has created a way with these tags:
>
> highway=track
> piste:type=nordic
>
> The way has been created just to represent the nordic trail. In summer there is no track at all. There is just a meadow with no imprint or trace of the nordic trail. In winter of course, the local nordic sports club prepares the trail with special machines, and the trail is present and always located at the same coordinates.
>
> I wonder if it is the right way to tag this trail with higway=track, because a user which wants to use the map for non-skiing purposes may think there is a track where one can walk on, which is not the case.
>
> Or take it the other way round: Would it be ok just to remove the highway tag, and would this fullfill requirements of the open piste map guys? The wiki for piste:type gives no clear answer for me.
>
> Best regards
> Michael

Hi Michael, did you
consider to ad seasonel and winter – yes as keys and values in the advanced options. The
track will be there only in wintertime’s and then even not at the exact same
place ! The track would shift without any references if itsnt following a usual track or path. Consider to tag the area
where the track(s) are prepared as sports – Nordic.

Greetz Hendrik