[Tagging] access=emergency revisited

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Thu Nov 22 14:38:07 GMT 2012

On 11/22/12 9:27 AM, Anthony wrote:

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access
>
> emergency <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:emergency>=* (category:
> emergency motor vehicles; e.g., ambulance, fire truck, police car)
>
> The misleading wording on key:emergency was caused by
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:emergency&diff=713194&oldid=691477

first of all, it's confusing having emergency= overloaded like that.
second, this is a case where you can pick and choose from the wiki (not
unlike the
situation with descriptions of the usage of highway=trunk in the US, of
which there
are many incompatible ones in the wiki.)

i wouldn't be hostile to emergency=yes as an access modifier except i
don't like the
overload with equipment.

however, as i said in another posting, i had one of those "we're doing
it wrong"
moments this morning, details of which i sent out earlier.

>>   so i gather you're not a fan of my project. oh well.
>>
> I'm not aware of enough of the details of your project to say.
i presented a lightning talk on it at SOTM US, here is a blog posting
covering roughly the
same ground. i would note that i've pitched this to firemen, fire
chiefs, and an NYS State
Senator and there's general agreement that it would be really useful
supporting
mutual response calls for municipal and volunteer departments, and for
out of area
calls for municipal departments.
http://www.averillpark.net/thisendup/index.php?/archives/101-OpenStreetMap-Emergency-Services.html

richard