[Tagging] fire district boundaries

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Thu Nov 22 21:21:29 GMT 2012

On 11/22/12 4:11 PM, Colin Smale wrote:
> I wouldn't use boundary=admin with admin_level unless there is actually a
> hierarchical relationship with the levels above/below. Otherwise they
> should really be in their own hierarchy, using something like
> boundary=fire_service. AIUI the US fire departments are at the city or
> county level. Can a city/county have more than one FD within its borders?
> Can an FD's jurisdiction extend across local government boundaries?
in New York, Counties are basically tiled with cities, and towns, and
there may be incorporated villages within the towns. the towns are typically
tiled by multiple volunteer fire departments; the town i live in, Sand Lake,
has 3. Guilderland NY, with a denser population, has more.

within a city, different companies have different response areas, so a
municipal
fire department would match up to the city boundary but would contain
multiple boundaries for different engine companies.

and i'm fine with calling it a different type of boundary. i have no
firm opinions
of my own on how to do this, i'm soliciting input.

richard