[Tagging] Proposed feature - age groups in schools

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 21:07:58 GMT 2012

Hi,
  With the exception of pre-schools, aren't most schools defined by the
year group, rather than age? Around a here, a primary school is Prep to
Grade 6, and high school is Year 7 to Year 12. The actual ranges of kids
varies a bit - some skip years, some repeat. I can't see much use for
coding an "age group".

To be honest, I'm not sure I even see the value in coding year groups -
what does "year_group=7-12" tell you that "Blah Blah High School" doesn't?
The use case of a parent choosing where to send their kids is such a rare
one, and involves so much other research that I don't think having that
factoid in OSM achieves much.

Steve