[Tagging] [Talk-us] street name expansion thoughts

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Mon Nov 26 04:07:33 GMT 2012

Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us> wrote:

> I've been cleaning up are area of Jackson County, NC and found roads
> where
> the name expansion algorithm failed to expand all of the abbreviations
> .
> For example Yellow Bird Br Road.
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=35.36564&lon=-83.24253&zoom=17&layers=M(not
> fixed yet)
>
> I didn't write down the problems thinking at first it was just
> an abnormality.
>
> I think it might be worth while to look at the names in the TIGER
> database
> for Jackson County NC to see why the names are not being expanded
> properly.
>  I'll try to pull up a list tomorrow to see if it can help improve the
> expansion algorithm.
>
> Clifford
>

> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Richard Welty
> <rwelty at averillpark.net>wrote:
>
> > there's been a bit of talk about running street name expansion over
> the
> > eastern US.
> > i'm reasonably happy with what i've seen in the expanded Tiger 2012
> tiles,
> > the
> > name expansion algorithm looks pretty good.
> >
> > however, should we perhaps also run expansion over the addr:street
> tags at
> > the same time?
> >
> > i'm becoming involved in the effort to get house number addressing
> and
> > routing working in mkgmap and it'd be nice if it could be presumed
> that
> > addr:street on an address and name on a street probably matched
> without
> > doing any fooling around.
> >
> > richard

> --
> Clifford
>
> I have promised to cut down on my swearing and drinking, which I have.
> Unfortunately, this has left me dim-witted and nearly speechless.
> Adapted
> from *The Lion* by Nelson DeMille
>
> -or-
>
> If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
>  Albert Einstein

You are likely to run into some local dialect terms, and different terms in different areas may use the same abbreviation.  I once lived in the Appalachian part of Kentucky, and would guess that "br" is short for branch, a dialect term for a small stream.  Another term you are likely to encounter is hollow, probably abbreviated as "hol" or "hlw".  This refers to a valley that tees into the side of a mountain, essentially a large ravine.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com