[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Gross vehicle weight rating

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 20:12:01 GMT 2012

Thanks Eckhart,

I've just had a bit more time to have a look at different weights and found
the following terms:

1. *gross vehicle weight rating* (also *gross vehicle mass*, *GVWR*, *GVM*)
- This appears to be a maximum operating weight specified by the
manufacturer (hence a "rating") and includes the vehicle weight, cargo
weight and others (driver, passenger, fuel, etc..)

2. *gross combination weight rating* (also *Gross Combination Mass*
and *maximum
authorised mass*) - Same as the above plus the weight of a trailer.

3. gross weight - taking the literal meaning of both words, I interpret
this to mean weight before any deductions. To me this includes all the same
components of GVWR, but is an actual measurement, rather than a
manufacturers rating). To find this out you would have to drive onto a
weighbridge.

The question is, do the road signs mean actual weight or "weight rating"?
Given that example for the UK it is hard to say for sure. I will see if I
can find out. Does Germany's road signs specifically mean manufacturers
weight rating?

Rob

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_vehicle_weight_rating
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_combined_weight_rating