[Tagging] How to solve the problem with relation overload?

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 15:21:15 GMT 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Henning Scholland <osm at aighes.de> wrote:

> Think about there is only -A-D-B- , where A and B are a node in such a
> relation. Everything is fine.

Still not sure to understand what is specific to a route modeling with
waypoints instead of segment list. In your example, A and B are not
intersections bfeore the A-D-B creation. But let say, they are
intersections. What you propose has been already discussed: you might
have 2 possible ways between two intersections (A and B) and I already
suggested some solutions. If the route is A-D-B, then nothing change
in the relation. If the route is A-C-B, then put C in the relation (or
the way itself in such exceptional case).

> This isn't really practicable.
I could say the same with the current model. Route relations are hard
to maintain because they are often broken by contributors unaware
about relations. Then, some people even suggest to make ways edition
harder once they belong to a relation, a kind of "protection against
newcomers". And this is now happening when your read the OP. But I
would say the opposite : streets edition should be the simplest as
possible. Bus routes are just tolerated in OSM and should be withdrawn
if they make street edition too difficult and moved to another
database.

Pieren